Did you know that the hair transplant procedure has been around for over 50 years now? Of course, the technique of performing hair transplant surgery has evolved and for all the good reasons. The old techniques have been replaced by the new and improved ones providing impressive outcomes.
One of the techniques that have been progressively becoming popular is the Follicular Unit Extraction or abbreviated as FUE. Similar to any other hair transplant surgery, for FUE as well, first you have to get checked whether you are a qualifying candidate to get the procedure or not.
The results from FUE technique are extremely satisfying as it gives you natural looking hair. Keep reading till the end to learn all things essential about this procedure.
What is exactly a FUE Hair Transplant?
FUE Hair Transplant which is follicular unit extraction is an advanced process that is used for treating hair loss. The process involves removing hair follicles from the healthy scalp area. The extracted follicles are then implanted to the scalp area where the impact of hair loss, thinning hair or bald patch is noticed.
The scalp area from where hair follicles are extracted is known as the donor area. This area is chosen by the professional depending on the level of healthy hair growth in that region. The harvested hair follicles are generally taken from the back of the scalp.
This area tends to have healthy and dense hair growth. Unlike the other hair transplant procedure where a strip of skin containing hair follicles is extracted, the FUE hair transplant focuses on extracting hair follicles one at a time.
The FUE treatment process is a highly preferred option as it offers precise and more natural looking hair growth.
How does FUE Hair Transplant Treatment work?
The three-phase cycle of hair growth and regrowth diminishes until the follicles no longer grow back hairs. The entire cycle happens as you grow older. Now, this process differs from person to person.
Some people show signs of balding as early as in their 20’s while others start balding at a much later stage in their life. What FUE hair transplant does is that it replaces these old follicles with the new ones which still have the capacity to grow hair.
Once the transplant is completed, the follicles will get nourished by the blood vessels and the area will once again restore its growth pattern.
The Procedure involved for FUE Hair Transplant
We all know going into a procedure without any information can be daunting and that’s why here we list out the steps in which FUE hair transplant is generally carried out.
- Expert professionals will shave down the donor as well as the implant area.
- Next, the hair follicles will be extracted from the donor area using a micro punch tool.
- Moving on with the procedure, the professional will make a trail of small incisions using a needle or any other suitable tool in the implant area.
- Once the incisions are done, the extracted follicles are inserted into the incisions.
- The professional will finish the graft and finally clean and bandage the area for recovery.
What to expect Post FUE Hair Transplant?
Expect to have rapid recovery after the FUE transplant surgery. Slight discomfort and swelling is a common thing and they would last for about 3 days.
You are also expected to take care of the implants for successful recovery and getting optimised results from the treatment. Some of the post-transplant recovery guidelines which you will have to follow are:
- Avoid washing your hair or getting your hair wet for at least 3 days.
- Use a gentle washing method and mild shampoo when it is time to wash your hair.
- Stay away from strenuous activities or exercises.
- Don’t use a comb or brush for at least a few weeks.
- Avoid wearing any hair accessories or hats until your doctor allows you.
- Take medications timely to ease the discomfort and recover from the surgery.
You may notice some strands falling out when you are recovering and that’s completely normal. The real difference from the FUE treatment will only start to show after 3 to 4 months.
The hair growth results after the FUE hair transplant completely depends on the health of the transplanted hair and your overall health.