People have been battling with black mould issues for quite some time now. The detrimental effects it can have on our life have just recently been apparent, though. Toxic moulds are widespread and affect people of all backgrounds. Black mould in particular has been linked to a wide variety of medical issues, from mild fatigue and dizziness to severe asthma attacks that have required hospitalisation. Because of this, entire buildings, including schools and businesses, have been closed for mould remediation.
Recognizing Black Mold
This mould is slimy to the touch and appears greenish-black. It's not always easy to tell from a visual inspection whether or not a mould growth is black mould, but if it is, it's a good sign that you should get rid of it. Any mould in the house should be treated as potentially harmful, regardless of its colour or texture. A musty or mouldy odour is a common early indicator of a mould problem in the house.
Porous organic surfaces like drywall, ceiling tiles, and carpet are common black mould habitats. It thrives on drywall that has been subjected to a steady stream of water and humidity levels above 60%. It is crucial to determine the species of mould present before attempting to eradicate it. It is commonly believed that this procedure is very costly. Toxic mould can be costly to remove, but there are DIY tests you can conduct to save money. Read on to learn how to identify if you're dealing with a dangerous mould growth or just a minor issue.
Black mould poisoning symptoms
Someone is bound to get sick if there's even a slight black mould problem in the house. These spores are extremely allergenic and also produce mycotoxins, both of which will be inhaled as they travel through the air and your air/heating system. Short-term issues include things like headaches, colds, flu, sinus infections, and breathing difficulties. The long-term repercussions of toxic mould poisoning are still being explored, but the data we do have so far are not encouraging. There may be irreversible brain damage, severe muscle atrophy, chronic breathing problems, and even disability involved. It's safer to play it safe. Get to the root of the problem if you think there might be mould.
A Place to Begin
If you notice or suspect mould growth, you should first check for a water leak or other source of moisture. This could necessitate the hiring of a plumber to fix things like dripping faucets, leaky shower pans, and malfunctioning water heaters. When a plumbing project goes beyond a do-it-abilities, yourselfer's it's time to call in the pros. Like mould development, procrastinating will only worsen the situation, both in terms of property damage and health.
When the leak has been rectified, you can then decide whether or not to get the mould tested.
Tests for the Presence of Mold
There are two types of tests that can be performed to determine if a mould is dangerous, including black mould. The examination of air samples or examination of surfaces.
Testing the surface of a mould often involves sticking a piece of adhesive tape to the surface and taking a sample to determine the material. This is a quick and dirty approach to find out if you're dealing with dangerous mould, but it won't tell you much about the extent of the problem, and in many cases, the mould itself will be hidden from view.
Free mold testing near me can be tested for their organic components by collecting air samples in a reservoir. It's a reliable method for determining the type and quantity of mould present in an area. It's important to remember that it's not uncommon for multiple varieties of dangerous mould to coexist within a single colony.
The best mould sampling strategy combines the two approaches. Do-it-yourself mould testing kits of sufficient quality can be found for little cost with a little online sleuthing, perhaps eliminating the need to hire a professional mould repair service.
The Elimination of Black Mold
When the mould growth covers an area smaller than three square feet, homeowners can safely remove it themselves. A mould removal company should be called in for an inspection and cost estimate if you have any reason to believe the issue is more extensive.
In the event that you choose to tackle the removal of hazardous mould on your own, the first step is to turn off the air conditioner or heater. If you don't, spores will fly through the air and land all over your house, where they can start new colonies. If the mould is in a bathroom, turning on the exhaust fan can assist direct any stray spores out the window as you scrub. A window open for ventilation if no exhaust fan is provided.
When eradicating harmful moulds, it is essential to always seal off the area. We can accomplish this by taping down polyethylene sheets over the problem location. Containment is the top priority, so this is the next stage.
Soap and water can be used to gently scrub the area clean of mould. Next, make sure all mould spores have been eradicated by applying a mould disinfectant to the area where it was and a few feet beyond. As mould spores can remain dormant for years, it's crucial to eradicate as many as possible.
It may be necessary to replace the area you are cleaning if it has been damaged beyond repair. It's not always required, though. Drywall and ceiling tiles that have grown mouldy and warped from water damage will need to be replaced.
After the space has been cleaned up, a dehumidifier can be used to dry it out and maintain humidity levels at or below 60% to avoid further mould growth. Since no two spots in the house will ever have the same humidity level, you may also want to install humidity sensors. These can be acquired at a fair price.
If black mould is allowed to spread unchecked, it can lead to significant expenses and health issues. Take action as soon as you see or smell any mould, presume it's dangerous. The wellbeing of your home and loved ones will be their grateful response.